Friday, October 10, 2008

RMNP Elk


This Rocky Mountain National Park bull elk was along a wooded area prior to sunrise. He had a small harem that he kept a close. After the sun came up he exited the woods with the cows. His harem began to feed in a small meadow below the ridge pictured above. He positioned himself there above the harem to observe for any likely competitors. I was in the meadow as well and angled myself so that I could catch the sunrise in the background. I spot metered the chest area so the sky would not blow him out and you could still see fur detail.

10 comments:

Ivar Ivrig said...

Another great shot Ken. Well done. Have a nice weekend :-)

John Theberge said...

I've never been out west but looking at your photos sure makes me want to go.

fishing guy said...

Ken: You take beautiful wildlife photos.

Tabib said...

Lovely elk picture against the golden sunrise.
Great wildlife blog.
Happy weekend!

Willard said...

Ken,
Another good shot. I am enjoying the series on your RMNP visit immensely.

Thanks for your visits and comments on my blog.

I read your comment on Brad Myers' Blog about approaching retirement and I wish you the best. It certainly is great except for physical problems which one picks up as they age.

I resigned as deputy in Dec. of 2006 and retired as Game Lands Maintenance Supervisor at the end of June in 2007. At that time they presented me with a certificate of retirement as deputy also, but that was window dressing. The retirement check was based on the full time maintenance job. I have not been sorry for one moment, although I do miss many of the super people that I worked with!

I am sure that with your interest in photography that you too will never regret the decision to retire.

Wishing you the best in your coming retirement!
Willard

Tommy V said...

Ken, Another great photo of the elk. I like ow you used the sun in the background.

T and S said...

Yet again you caught the fella giving you a beautiful pose and this time with the background blurred, nicely done

Stacey Huston said...

Beautiful photos Ken, just wonderful

Abraham Lincoln said...

Beautiful animals. I hope they can survive the hunting seasons. Excellent photography.

Mike - Fenphotography said...

Thanks for your comments Ken, nice pics here, i'll be back.