Sunday, May 9, 2010

Creamer's Field, Fairbanks, Alaska


Before arriving in Denali, I was fortunate to be able to stop in one of Elaine’s favorite honey holes for wildlife viewing in Fairbanks, Alaska, Creamer’s Field. This location has been a long-established stopping place for waterfowl prior to nesting in northern part of Alaska. The above trumpeter swans are a regular visitor this time of year.



Things are usually slower from a wildlife viewing perspective in the summer, but in the spring and fall this is a great place view a diversity of migratory species. The above Pintails and Canada Geese were active at one of the smaller ponds in the south part of the refuge.

The above White-fronted Goose was a new one for me last year. Great to see them back. Had two sitings of them in the park, near Wonder Lake last year as well.



During my road trip, I have been observing the Sandhill Cranes in Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana and in Alaska. Funny that their migratory route is very similar to my leg of the trip from the upper Rockies to Alaska. I love to watch the guys do everything they can with their bodies, trying to show off to the females.

I have been in training all this week and will be next week as well. I have no Internet at my new cabin, so my next post will be delayed. That next post will include one of the best experiences I have had in Denali.

8 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Beautiful shot of the Swans.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

This place is a definitely a must for birders Ken. What a wonderful variety of birds there. As usual you have managed to capture some great action shots.

Elaine said...

I'm glad you were able to spend some time at Creamer's while there were so many birds moving through. You got some wonderful shots, but then you always do! I especially like the shot of the White-fronted Goose. They are one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've encountered at Denali.

Lew said...

Fantastic shot of those beautiful birds!

Juan C. Aguero said...

Excellent photos !!

Jose's World said...

Gee,no need to return to Bosque de Apache with those images. Teh two pintails flying are winners.

Unknown said...

ciao,
i'd like open a window on my blog dedicated to you. if you send me your email I will activate you as author. thanks.