Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Denali - Beavers


In my last days in Denali for the season, maximizing wildlife viewing opportunities were certainly a priority. With the unusually warm weather, the moose rut seemed to slow down. So, I concentrated on another favorite species, the Beaver. The above image is something I have been trying to capture for years. Beavers are nocturnal and rarely seen above the water, so the above "chew on the tree shot" was something very fortunate to see let alone capture. In this image he is about to take his last tree bite and at the same time using his arm to push over the tree. Just awesome to be able to witness this entire event.


In the above images, he is busy carrying the limbs on a path to the lodge which is at least quarter mile away.

My second season in Denali was certainly as good as the first one. It is such a special place. I am now on the road trip home to Virginia. A Virginia friend flew up to Alaska and is making the entire trip back with me as well. We are currently in Wyoming. Before starting on the road trip, we flew up to the arctic to view polar bears. The trip went well. My next post will include some special polar bear images that will include some cub shots.

Blue Skies.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

Wonderful shots of the beaver, and I look forward to your polar bear shots.

Luuuuuua said...

superba postare,felicitarii

OAL-photo.com said...

really nice beaver shot... but the moose picture below is still my favoritt...

Pat Ulrich said...

how fascinating to see this behavior in person -- really terrific shots of it as well!